NADWcon 2015 joining Worldcon

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

NADWcon 2015 joining Worldcon

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:24 am

For those who may be interested, just found out that there won't be a stand alone North American Discworld con next year. However, it will be represented as part of Worldcon which is going to be in Spokane, WA. The info is here:

http://it-bodes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/announcing-dates-and-location-for-north.html
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Re: NADWcon 2015 joining Worldcon

Postby shivers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:09 pm

It's a shame that they won't have a full event but it's great that fans are willing to pull together, and I'm glad it's still around in some incarnation! :clap:
Irish Discworld Convention 2015 - 2nd-5th October 2015, Cork International Airport Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.org
shivers

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Yay!!! I'm registered for Worldcon Spokane :D although I did vote for Helsinki to win, I was at a seamstress's party at a worldcon before really good time was had. :lol: :dance:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:58 am

Cool! :D Do these sell out? At what point do you have to seriously consider whether to hold a membership or not? I'm trying to get us ready for our family vacation, while also trying to get my ducks in a row for coming over for the Manchester con. If I have to do any planning for another trip at this point, I might have a breakdown. Would waiting until the end of the summer be too late?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 pm

No it won't be too late Susanne, the price goes up the longer you leave it, http://sasquan.org/ click under membership tab then registration for the details of prices. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Good to know! Thanks Dug. :D Do they sell out? If I hold a membership and then can't go for any reason, is it easy to sell it to someone?
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Yes I have known them go up for sale especially if you have it at a cheaper price or even not,I've not known of one selling out as there held in convention sites attached to the hotels which can hold thousands, I reckon between 5 or 6 thousand at least attending.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby =Tamar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:18 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Yes I have known them go up for sale especially if you have it at a cheaper price or even not

Sometimes there is even a convention-run clearing house for resales of memberships. Some people buy memberships just to vote for the Hugo awards, others to be able to vote for the next site selection. Then they sell the actual "attending" part of the membership, which still gets you in for everything. Aside from banquets and clearly labeled special items like local tours, nothing costs extra. Five days, well-nigh 24 hour activity.

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I've not known of one selling out as they're held in convention sites attached to the hotels which can hold thousands, I reckon between 5 or 6 thousand at least attending.

Correct. There's no limit on memberships. Lately, it's more likely to be closer to 3 thousand people actually on site. It's still advisable to make your reservations early and reconfirm them shortly before the con.
Last edited by =Tamar on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=Tamar

Postby Catch-up » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Good to know! I'll try to make a decision soon.
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:19 pm

This was the totals for Chicon 7
Country Total Adult Attending *Young Adult Children & InfantsSupporters Day Admissions

Totals 7095 4493 317 212 1943 125
Who's Wee Dug

Return to Terry Pratchett