Bernard Cornwell

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Bernard Cornwell

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 pm

The next book by Bernard, Pagan Lord, another in the Saxon Chronicles series, is due out on September 26th (UK) and January 7th 2014 (US). :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:09 am

I wish he'd number them, I get confused, which I've read, how many there are, what order they're in... I mean I understand it with Sharpe: those were written out of sequence, but the Uhtred books seems to be following a linear progression, so why not just number them accordingly? Oh but they're good stuff, no doubt... but getting a little samey now. I wish he'd do a Civil War series - a new character following Cromwell's course as Sharpe followed Wellington's maybe...
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:39 pm

MongoGutman wrote:I wish he'd number them, I get confused, which I've read, how many there are, what order they're in... I mean I understand it with Sharpe: those were written out of sequence, but the Uhtred books seems to be following a linear progression, so why not just number them accordingly? Oh but they're good stuff, no doubt... but getting a little samey now. I wish he'd do a Civil War series - a new character following Cromwell's course as Sharpe followed Wellington's maybe...

Here you go, Mongo:

1. The Last Kingdom (2004)
2. The Pale Horseman (2005)
3. The Lords of the North (2006)
4. Sword Song (2007)
5. The Burning Land (2009)
6. Death of Kings (2011)
7. The Pagan Lord (2013)

I'm currently reading The Pagan Lord and, as ever, thoroughly enjoying it. :D
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:31 am

Haven't bought Pagan Lord yet but finished Death of KIngs recently so will definitely be getting it soon. Great series
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 26, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm rereading Pagan Lord at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. :)

The next Saxon Chronicles book is The Empty Throne, due out in the UK in October.

He's also writing his first non-fiction book, Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles. That's out in the UK in September. :D
Tonyblack

Postby storm » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:30 pm

I can't wait for the Waterloo book. I have read several accounts of the battle based on diary entries of witnesses and find the battle fascinating. Both from the personal and strategic/political perspectives.
The one Sharpe book I was really disappointed in was Waterloo but that was probably because I had such high hopes for it!

I am hoping to visit the battle field next year.

Storm
"Sometimes the storm winds blow so strong a man has no choice but to furl his sails.”

George R.R. Martin,
storm

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm very much looking forward to the book as well. I understand that the battlefield has changed a lot since the battle. For some reason, the French celebrate the battle as if they'd won it. There's a huge mound of earth with a monument on top. The mound was built using the soil around the battlefield and therefore, the area where Wellington had his troops lay down out of sight, is pretty much gone now.

Bernard Cornwell does write a good battle though. His book about Agincourt really put across what was going on and how things worked out. I think he'll do a great job of Waterloo.
Tonyblack

Postby storm » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:21 pm

The irony of that particular piece of monument building is worthy of the great B.S. Johnston :roll:

You can still see lots of the features of the site although I believe that the farmhouse at Hougemont is private property and not open to tourists. Also one of the billets used by the British officers has seen service as a nightclub!

Storm
"Sometimes the storm winds blow so strong a man has no choice but to furl his sails.”

George R.R. Martin,
storm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:13 pm

:lol: I went searching on Google Map, for Fort George, the fort in Bernard's book - The Fort. You can still see where the fort was, and it appears to have been used as a baseball diamond at some stage.

Tonyblack

Postby storm » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:55 pm

I suppose there are worse things to do with a disused fort!

It's also worth noting that the monument that is responsible for annihilating the topography of the battlefield isn't even dedicated to Wellington and the British. It was raised by the King of Holland to commemorate where his son; the prince of orange was knocked off his horse! ( by a canon ball, not by a rifle bullet fired by Sharpe ;) )

Storm

George R.R. Martin,
storm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:46 pm

The next book in the Saxon Series is out on 23 October. I can't wait. :D

But before that, Bernard's first non fiction book, Waterloo, is out on 11 Setember.

Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Woo hoo!!!! Great news! :D
Tonyblack

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books